Sunday, April 08, 2007

Flowers for Food

On Friday while I was walking home from town (the skytrain was having issues so I got off at the Stadium Station and walked the rest of the way home), anyway along the way I came across this homeless guy panhandling cars for cash to be able to buy some food to eat. Anyway I asked if he wanted something to eat which he did and we went to Macca's for a meal. Along the way as we were chatting he was telling me about this deal he and another lady had arranged with florists to take all their discarded flowers and he is allow to hand them out in return for donations - hence the "Flowers for Food" website and program was started. Have a look at the website and read about the foundation of the actual idea behind this - and how one lady saw his approach and decided to help in arranging better flowers etc for him to hand out in exchange for change.

I have to go back sometime as well and have another chat to him again as I promised him (he was a really great guy and very generous, even though he had little as he is at the same time looking after a young fella who is a drug addict and trying to help him realise the reality of living on the streets and issues and problems which arise due to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home