Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Paris day 3 - gypses among other things

Wednesday 24th February 2010:
Well another morning and day in Paris. Woke up eventually and just in time for breakfast, then headed slowly out. Not in a rush today at all.
Started out again near the Notre Dame, but instead made my way along the riverside towards the Louvre Museum.
Walking towards the Louvre Museum I received my first ring guy for the day. By this I mean that he bends down and pretends to have found a "gold" ring just on the ground. Of cause it's obvious that he hasn't, but the first one you go along with and I ended up giving him 2euro for the effort. Of which he was wanting 4.50 for lunch and I told him to go to a supermarket and buy lunch for 2Euro because that's what I was going to do.
Was looking at going in, however thought I'd leave it until Friday when I had a full day to do it. So instead I headed up the Champ de Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe.
Did the free version of this instead of paying their wanted fee to go up the top of the Arc and get a good view of the city (figured I'd leave that for the Eiffel Tower.
From the Arc I again went down to the riverside and walked all the way along until I got to the Paris version of the Statue of Liberty. Much smaller than the American version, but just as good looking.
My second encounter with the "gypse" ring guys was at the start of the Champ de Elysees where a younger guy again tried to give me a ring he'd just found on the ground. I showed him the other one I'd already had and he still tried to get me to buy the other one off him. I told him no and kept walking.
My third and final run in with these guys was on the bridge near the Statue of Liberty, and this guys effort was the poorest of all 3. It was a last minute thing where he though I might just go for it, but unlucky for him 1 I'd already had 2 guys before him try the deal, and 2 I say the ring just sitting in his palm as he went down to the ground to pretend to pick up the ring. I promptly told him that I'd already seen it and we both kept walking in our different respective ways.
From there I wandered back to the Eiffel Tower where I spent the next 4 hours in and around the tower. I decided to walk up the stairs to the 1st and 2nd floors which cost 4Euro less than taking the elevator, and was well worth the walk. The line to get in and pay for a ticket was a lot smaller as well and I only had to wait about 1 minute for my ticket compared to at least 30 minutes if I'd wanted to go the elevator up.
Eventually made my way all the way to the top of the eiffel tower, where I must say it was extremely windy. And by that I mean that on the west to south side of the eiffel tower it was really blowing a gale to the extent that it was extremely hard to stand in one area without being blown around.
Lovely views from up there though and I got photos of Paris in both the day and twilight times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home