Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Some French Leasons

Tuesday 21st July:
Nothing unusual today other than work and being a Tuesday it was movie night. Off to see The Hangover: (verdict to be added later)
On a lighter side the interesting article that caught my eye to day was about the up and coming wedding of Kelly to Kelly in American who met on facebook. Not sure how that will pan out especially when explaining to people yes my name is Kelly Hildebrandt and yes my husbands name is Kelly Hildebrandt. I suppose one up side for her is that fact that she doesn't have to think about changing her last name to his and going through the who episode of that as she just needs to put a Mrs in front now instead of Miss/Ms.

Wednesday 22nd July:
For those who like a bit of history, this is an article about the new
The Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary
As for work, well it was another day at work is all I can say about it really. Nothing else much happened there other than the usual - although I still have yet to work the stupid Access programming out and have decided to scale back my efforts to a much more simple form and query.
As a side note I have been getting to know one of the Big Issue vendors who I generally see about 3 or 4 times a week on my walk home through the city (I see a few of them here and there but generally just but the magazine from one vendor). She is a girl from Romania with a couple of young children who is selling the issue to fund and look after her girls. It's always a pleasure to see her and we have been having generally small chats on most days that I walk past. Today's was a bit longer and as we got chatting about her kids etc. Not much else to say about it really, but I figure it lightens and breaks up the day for her a bit and I get a pleasure out of chatting with her aswell. Highly recommend the magazine if you ever get a chance to buy one. The vendors get half the price of the magazine for themselves and they always go through screening before being allowed to sell the magazine.

Thursday 23rd July:
More work today, although at least it is only half a day. Off in the afternoon to register at a doctors, pay my rent for the 4 weeks and then catch my plane to Marseilles. Flight was uneventful as was the trip into Marseilles. The best part of it was the fact that you have to coming in close to the big lake that is right next to the airport. Marseilles being in the south of France is also in the middle of it's summer and so the nights are about 21C and 30-34C days - perfect weather really (except the over night temps).
Got to the Hostel eventually (got a little semi-lost) or should I say I went in the completely different route to those provided on the directions. I got chatting to Sam the owner as well as an Australian girl who'd been there for a bout a week or so, and an English fella who'd been there just a few day's less. Went out with them for a couple of beers which was fun since none of us spoken any French beyond the basics - but the good thing about Marseilles as I found out is that they are quite happy to speak English (if they know it) if note then trying to get to understand each other in a different way.

Friday 24th July:
Got up semi-early (being around 9am) and headed out to see the sites of this Southern Port City (being a port city it has a reasonable amount of character and sordid history).
I wanderered down to the old port district (the hub of the city), stopped off to get some croissant's for breakfast then walked around the old town district. Walked around the Fort Saint-Jean - the other thing I noticed while there is that event where there are no beaches and only rocky out crops near the water's edge the French inhabitants and (I presume a few french tourists) will use them and go for a swim or sunbath.
From there I walked up to and viewed the Cathedral as well as a few other places and back streets of the old town. From there I walked back towards the Old Port and caught the Petite Train for a tour of the coast road and a ride up to the Notre-Dame De La Grade. There was a beautiful view of the Mediterranean Sea and the city houses, appartments and other assorted buildings, on the way up to the Notre-Dame.
There was a spectacular view from the top of the hill and here I left the Petite Train and walked back down the hill towards the Old Port. I stopped off again for some lunch (a quiche and strawberry tarte) before walking some more around the city and then taking a 1hr boat trip out to the local islands some of the coast and back again.
From there I headed back to the hostel where I met up with Gary (English fella) and Amanda (Australian girl) and headed out for some dinner at one of the local restaurants and then a bottle of wine. We then walked back to the hostel for Amada to get her backs and helped her over to the train station for her train back to Germany.
After that Gary and I went for a couple more beers down by the old port.

Saturday 25th July:
Up mid morning then Gary and I decided to grab a train and go out to Aix-En-Provance which is a nice little quaint town which had a lot of history to it and was nice to walk around in for a few hours, and noticable cooler than Marseille (albeit not that much cooler but cool enough).
It was a nice day out and away from Marseilles and we got to see some of the other regions of France aswell as a few decent buskers plying their trade.
Back into Marseilles in the afternoon and then we met up with a couple of other English people who'd just booked into the hostel. Went out for dinner at the old port (had mussles and fries for dinner) then we went looking for somewhere to dance but stumbled upon the red light district and quickly escaped to find a couple of other places for a drink or two.

Sunday 26th July:
Slept in a bit and only got up around 10. Out for breakfast with Gary, then I headed down to the old port to book passage on a tour boat to see the Calanques from Marseille to Cassis and back.
It was a great way to spend 3 hours especially since I had a prime spot at hte front of the boat for the whole trip along the coast to Cassis and back.
After the trip I headed back to the hostel to relax for a bit before heading out for dinner and then catch my bus back to the airport.
Went out with Gary again, as well as a couple of Aussies who where in Marseille for a day or two. Finally found a place to eat dinner (pizza again) and then as it was getting to about 8.45 I remember I had to go and grab my bus so I ate, said a quick good bye, paid and ran up to the train/bus station to book the bus and get to the airport - unfortuantely I just missed one bus and so had to wait just under 20 minutes for the next bus to the airport.
Luckily for me the bus only left 5 minutes late but only took 20 minutes to get to the airport so I arrived 10 minutes before the gates closed - the closest plane catch for me.
The plane ride was uneventful and arrived on time as usual for RyanAir (even though it left late) which is annoying because if they are on time you get the dodgy 'Congratulations' music and speach - sooo annoying.
Anyway just caught the second to last bus home (otherwise would have been on the train) and walked through the city at midnight to get home by just before 12.30.
Off to bed and that was the end of my nice relaxing and heat filled weekend in France (which felt like a holiday from the time I stepped out of the Marseilles bus/train station to when I left).

Monday 27th July:
Back to work today (and unfortunately up at the usual time which meant I didn't get a huge amount of sleep because of my late arrival.
Not much to say about work, jus the usual day there, then food shopping as Asda on the way home (won't bother going there much as it's about the same price as Tesco except for a few items).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home